Tuesday, August 18, 2009

French Inspired Pied-a terre

Nestled into the greater Edmonds area is a dear lady friend of mine who I have come to know and love deeply. She shares many of the same passions as I do. A year ago, she invited a few of us to her home to share a light supper and have an old fashioned Ice Cream Social. Upon entering her home I was amazed at the collections that stood before me. Over the past year, she's called upon me to help her redesign and renew her home, using the wonderful, found, salvaged decor pieces she has collected. Yesterday, I stopped by to drop off some borrowed goodies. She was preparing for a rummage sale for the coming weekend. (oh Yes! I'll keep you posted.) We chatted briefly and then she asked me to step out onto her covered porch to give her a little advise on what she should sell at her event. Now I have been on the porch and in her garden a hundred times but this time I was seeing it for the first time. The long covered porch has always been an interesting place to view and store items that wouldn't fit into her home or garage, but today I saw two rooms. We sprang into action and removed the furniture she wanted to peddle and began rearranging this fantastic space into a cozy French Inspired Pied-a terre. Literal translation is small dwelling for occasional use, or foot on the ground! Suddenly the dust was flying and the transformation was underway. Outdoor mirrors enlarged the porch and gave it the sparkle she was looking for. Rearranged white furniture gave way to mirrored-topped tables with chairs stamped with french symbols.
Iron cherubs, and building corbels decorated the walls and tables. Plants softened the entire look and old glass bottles and jars were lovingly filled with blue hydrangeas and white star-gazer lilies. The proverbial chandelier....or two.... were hung and wha-la! French Inspired Pied-a terre. We had so much fun together recreating and renewing her porch. SO I think a new business could have easily been born yesterday..... RENEWAL DESIGN. ;-) Using Colleens furnishings, loved items, found art and a few new pieces, I recreated her dusty porch into a space where she can entertain, enjoy coffee and conversation, or slip into a daydream. Nestled into her big arm chair, she called this morning saying she was taking coffee on her new French Inspired pied-a terre. And yes the pictures are coming! Todd

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it just a wonderful thing to help people actually live with and enjoy their treasures?! Especially elderly ones who have a story for every single artifact and item. I love working with them! I can't wait to see the photos, Todd - I'm sure it's absolutely lovely!

    ReplyDelete